We’re getting out into the field.

Last week was a busy week for us in the field. Alec, my summer employee started on Monday and we set right to work. We spent most of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday transplanting. We started off the week putting onions, leeks and shallots in, which is always takes a long time with so many plants to put in. However, with the two of us and some volunteers we did pretty good. We then transplanted kale, chard, lettuce, kohlrabi, and bok choy. Early in the week it was nice weather for transplanting, but as the week went on it got a little hot and dry for the plants. I ended up having to do a lot of watering as we were putting the plants out in the field. It has been nice to be able to get things in the ground and move things out of the greenhouse, which has been getting a little full.

Most things look pretty good, but we had another ground hog visit us. Unfortunately, it went through most of the kale, but it didn’t look like it hit the middle new growth so it may still have a chance to come back. Either way I am glad I have extras we had not planted yet in the field that we may use to replace the plants. I will need to work on trapping it before we do any transplanting of new kale. I didn’t see any holes in the field so it must be coming in from the edge, which makes trapping it easier. The lettuce and bok choy look a little rough from the transition to the dry ground, but it will pull through soon enough.

I also put in some seeds in the ground a week and a half ago. I put in peas, spinach, cilantro, carrots, and beets. The spinach is coming up and the peas are poking through, but I am still waiting to see the others. I have lots more seeding in the field to do this week so I hope we can get a little rain, but not too much.

As we are getting started putting things in the field I am getting nervous already about having enough room for everything. We have filled over half an acre out of the two acres we can use in the fence. We haven’t even gotten to the things that take up a lot of space yet. Last year was tight and I know I increased what I am growing so it may be very tight this year. I may have to get creative with things later on in the season.

IMAG0124I wish I could put up some pictures of how the field looks, but my phone’s camera has broken. The screen has also broken so it may be time to get a new phone in the next month or so. However, I will leave you with a picture of my daughter at the farm I took right before the camera stopped working. She likes to come and help water the greenhouse and feed the goats with me on the weekends.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s